Sunday, March 6, 2011

What happens to a dream deferred?

Yes, I stole my title from the exceptional poem "Dream Deferred" by Langston Hughes.  Check it out here if you're not familiar with it, but hopefully it was required reading at some point in your life before you slid so low as to read bizarre posts from a delusional Pittsburgh Pierogi.



I hate to break this shocking information to you if you haven't already watched it on the news or read it on the Internet.  Please make sure you are seated.  Please know in advance that I am very very very very very sorry to have to tell you this.  It pains me so!








































I am not going to be a pierogi. 



...at least not this season.  There, I said it.  You can commence with crying and throwing things.  Throw your hands up in the air like you're doing the "Nichole Why".   I'll give you roughly two seconds for your tantrum.





























The answer to the question "will she or won't she become a pierogi?" is going to have to wait until 2012.  In case you're wondering what happened, I sent an email on 3/1 asking for details on the upcoming try-outs that were supposed to occur sometime in March.  I asked about being a "runner" full-time versus once.  Check out the response from the nice gentleman who controls pierogi fate at the Pirates:


"Unfortunately for 2011, we are not going to have tryouts to add to the staff. We have a full staff heading into the season. If anything changes, I’ll be sure to email you ASAP if we need to have a date for everyone to tryout.

In regards to the “guest pierogie runner” we do not allow this anymore. When we did, some people made a total mockery of this, ruining the chances for others like yourself who would truly cherish the experience."


Reading this email was a punch in my doughy pierogi gut.  I wish I could change the mind of the one man in the universe who has the ability to pull pierogi dreams out of his pockets as easily as lint.  I'm pretty sure Oprah doesn't even have as much power in Pittsburgh as he does.  If she did, this would have been one of the top giveaways during her favorite things episodes.  A pierogi dream for you!  And you!  And you!  You're ALLLL getting pierogi dreams come true!  



So what does this mean?  This means that I definitely won't need to train as hard at the gym as I was originally planning to this month.  This means that my couch will get some quality time with my ass.  This means that the name of this Pittsburgh blog - even the blog itself - is in jeopardy.  How long can I keep up a blog calling myself a pierogi if I most certainly am not one?   Sadly, I'm not even a pierogi-in-training.  I hate to disappoint my five followers.  Even you too, because I know you're reading.



What happens to a dream deferred?   I think in this situation it is only appropriate to take a cue from the Pirates.










"Maybe next year....".



1 comment:

  1. There is always next year!! :D

    and I about pee'd myself over the Oprah line..I could almost hear her saying that.

    ReplyDelete