Wednesday, December 29, 2010

He will bring us goodness and light

(I wrote this one before heading to Florida for Christmas so I could lazily - uh, I mean easily - post it on the appropriate day.  I got sick and obviously I'm a little bit late here!  Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!)


The following text is from a sermon at church about a month ago.  I enjoyed the priest's message and I wanted to write it down so I won't forget it. 

Some days it's difficult to get out of bed in the morning.  We think about all the things we have to do that day and we think about all the things that are troubling us.  Maybe we're having a tough time with family members, with our jobs, or with illnesses.  That's why Christmas is a perfect time to think about and reflect on why Jesus came to earth for us.  What is Jesus offering us?  Is he offering us a life without pain?  A life without any form of suffering or hurt?  No.  Jesus is offering us Love.  When he came here as a man, he experienced our ailments, our hurts, betrayals, and sufferings.  He knows what it feels like.  It is a very important distinction to remember that he is offering us Love and not a guarantee of painlessness, and he wants us to experience his love.  Having love is more vital than having a pain-free life... keep that in mind anytime you are feeling discouraged.


If you want to be a true disciple of Christ, you must take up your cross and follow him.  No one ever said this life was going to be easy.


Unfortunately though.... for as much as we might like this to be true some days..... certain things are not for us to decide.  We cannot choose for our cross to be made with styrofoam!


Merry Christmas!!  :)




1 comment:

  1. Nice piece. Makes me want to try harder. "You Know"

    ReplyDelete