Friday, October 22, 2010

November Rain

I'm gearing up for the first cold November rain.  And yes, while writing my very first (and potentially last) blog posting I realize that it is currently October....but who doesn't like that Guns N' Roses song?  The piano and the wistful lyrics complement the drums and guitar shredding superbly.  It's on my Top 25 list of all-time great songs (which will be shared later, just as soon as I compile it).   If you haven't heard the song before or seen the music video, check it out here.  Holy hair band and holy short wedding dress.

Anyway, like a lot of people -and I think many yinzers would agree- fall is my favorite time of the year.  I like it for the usual reasons that most people give if they have an affinity for this season:  Steelers football, college football, high school football, the beautiful and colorful leaves, the autumn smell and chill in the air, hot chocolate, the official start of sweaters and boots season, and the semi-annual Victoria Secret's sale.  Ok, so maybe the last one doesn't really count.  Did I mention football? 

Aside from the standard responses though, the main reason fall is my favorite time of the year is the anticipation it brings.  The anticipation of the holidays filled with family, laughter, and times spent together recalling past holidays.  The anticipation of Christmas and remembering/celebrating Christ's love for us.  The anticipation of the new year approaching and all of the possibilities it could bring.  It's a hopeful time even though the outside world is changing and getting colder each day.  The first snowfall is always magical.  (If I can make the snowfall comment after living in Erie for years with the lake-effect snows-until-you-can't-stand-it-and-then-it-snows-some-more weather, then you should be able to agree.)  Of course, I do realize that snow-falling happens in the winter season, but the waiting for its arrival and the anxious small-talk of "so when do you think it's gonna snow?" typically takes place in the fall and is a small part of the fun unpredictibility of life.  Wouldn't it be awful if we knew the future?  Frankly, I think it would be downright scary to know all of the heartbreak and agony ahead of time, while on the other hand it would also steal something away from the sheer joy in the breathless, happy, and wonderful moments in life if they couldn't catch you by surprise.  The one pesky afterthought of course may be to know the winning lottery numbers, but that's another topic for another day.

So congratulations...you have almost made it to the end of my first blog posting (yes, I'm writing to you Mom and Dad....the only two people who would read this!).  I know you've waited for quite some time for the blog's arrival since I have talked about it ad nauseum, but now that you have actually read it I'm sure you're anticipating the post's ending with an even greater fervor.  I can just hear the conversation now, it would go something like this...  My Mom: "So this is what a blog is?  Why would I want to sit here and read it?  I don't get it."  My Dad: "Now hold on just a minute, hush and keep reading.  I think there's more down below, maybe she will tell us something important."  My Mom: "If she had something important to tell us, wouldn't she have called?  Why do we have to check the internet?"

And finally - I have one more new reason to fall in love with the fall this year - even more so than other years.  It involves a dream of mine that has been slowly and steadily building.  I'm sure there are plenty of other Pittsburghers who hold this very same dream and yet many are not brave enough souls to vocalize it or even to take the first step in achieving it.  (Yes, many of these people are probably ages twelve and under, but who's checking ID?)  It is a thing of beauty, actually.  Everyone who knows me should know that I am competitive and that I love the city of Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh sports teams.  I also love to eat.  What could be better than cheering on the hometown baseball team in the most beautiful ballpark in the country while running a foot race dressed up as a Polish food staple?  Ladies and gentlemen (I mean - Mom and Dad)...I want to be a pierogi.  A Pittsburgh pierogi.  Fall serves as my official start to get-in-shape season to get doughy for try-outs in March.  I will be relentless in my training efforts.  Even if there's a cold November rain, I will have to force myself to get to the gym and "lay it on the line" as Axl Rose would say. 

Like I said before, I love the fall season because it's all about anticipation.  A girl can dream, right?  And if this doesn't work out, then I have a fantastic costume idea for next Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment